BY JANA VELDHEER
A father is an important figure in his daughter’s life. It can be argued that he may be THE most important figure in her life, especially in her most formative years that will shape and mold her into whom she becomes as an adult.
“Dating Her” is one of the best ways in which a father can spend meaningful and memorable time with his daughter. So I’ve compiled a list and links of daddy daughter date suggestions for this summer in and around the West Michigan area.
But first you should know why to do it.
In a post from the Focus On The Family website, authors Lynne Thompson and Cheryl Gochnauer explain, “More and more fathers are becoming aware of their influence and regularly dating their daughters.”
Playground Dad author Ashley Silverman may have said it best, “The first relationship that little girls will form with a member of the opposite sex is the one that they have with their father. This relationship is important… as it often shapes the ones she builds with other boys and men as she ages.”
Silverman goes on to list 10 reasons why all fathers should have dates with their daughters, things like getting to know them, keeping up with events & developments & to help form positive ideas about men and relationships. Click here for the full list.
The heart of Daddy Daughter Time is for Dads to have every resource so they can spend quality time with their daughters. Here’s that list. Happy dating!
- READ A BOOK
- GET UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH THE ANIMALS
- I love animals. G loves animals. There isn’t a dog that we pass on the street that we can’t stop and ask if we can pet (I am so glad we are alike in this way). So, any time we have the opportunity to get up close and personal with an animal is a great time. Here is a list of locations you and your girl can go to explore the animals!
- I cannot say enough good things about the Critter Barn. The Critter Barn is a non-profit organization, which relies on the generosity and donations of its visitors to operate.
- The Critter Barn is dedicated to teaching about farming and agriculture while inspiring people of all ages through the miracles in nature found at the farm.
- They also offer a variety of classes for kids of all ages to learn about animals and agriculture.
- If your little girl loves petting, touching, holding and learning about animals as much as little G does (and me too), then you have to take a trip out to Zeeland – you and your budding zoologist will not regret it!
- GO FOR A SWIM
- Ray and Joan Kroc Center
- The Kroc Center offers various membership options (memberships range from $10 – $85 per month), as well as summer passes and drop in options (day passes range from $5 – $7).
- Open swim at the pool is open during the evenings until 8:30PM (7:30PM on Fridays).
- Grand Rapids Public Pools
- We are so lucky to live in a city that offers aquatic services. They may not be the greatest in the world, but they are ours! Swim fees range from FREE (children under 1 year), to $4 non-residents, 18 and older. Visit the website for pool locations.
- YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids
- Ray and Joan Kroc Center
- ENJOY THE RIDE AT AN AMUSEMENT PARK
- A DOUBLE DIP DATE
- In 2012 MLive held a statewide search for the best ice cream parlor in Michigan. While the winner wasn’t a local one, gave us a list of great suggestions on where to get your favorite frosty treat
- SEEING STARS
- I’ll admit it… I am kind of a theatre geek (minus the geek part… maybe). I have been involved in the theatre community in Grand Rapids for as long as I can remember. It was a family affair. I cannot wait to take G to her first theatre experience – and am even more excited for the first time she performs on stage herself!
- OTHER DADDY DAUGHTER DATE IDEAS
- Visit the museum!
- Build a blanket fort (inside on a rainy day & outside on a sunny day!
- Go for a bike ride
- Find a local organization to volunteer for together
- Find hidden treasures at a garage sale
- Go fly a kite
- Build something together, how about a bird house or a spice rack!
- Attend a sporting event!
- Play a quick round of mini golf
- Attend a local fair
- Pick some fruit!
And, if this list isn’t comprehensive enough, pop on over to GRKids.com for additional options of fun date ideas to do with your daughter!
Below you will find additional information, resources, & research regarding Daddy Daughter Dates.